« TEST | Main | »

Robbins and Prejean, Dead Man Walking: The Shooting Script -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Danielle Meyer
Dr. Jerz
Drama as Literature
20 September 2005
Dead Man Walking
Prejean: Stop blaming him. You blame him, you blame the government, you blame the drugs, you blame blacks. You blame the Percys. You blame the kids for being there. What about Matthew Poncelet? Where is he in this story? Just an innocent? Just a victim?
Matt: I ain’t no victim.
Matt says that he is not a victim. And he does blame his actions on other things. On page 139, it says that he says “I told ya, I was stoned outta my head.” It is obvious that he doesn’t want to blame the guilt on himself and just wants to go around saying that this was the cause of it or that was the cause of it and so on. But then on page123, Matt says “ I let myself listen to him (we’re talking about Vitello). I was a victim, a fuckin’ chicken.” Not soon after that he confesses to killing Walter and raping Hope and he takes responsibility for both of their deaths. I think at this point in the game, he finally has convinced himself that he needed to talk responsibility for his actions and his crimes.
Lorin made a statement about Prejean using the word “victim” in her blog saying that she thought that the word victim was used purposely to have Matt confess everything. I really agree with this comment because it just is so obvious that she was trying to manipulate his mind to confess.
I also looked at David's blog and I totally agreed with what he said as well. He posted in his blog "The cold, prordained cruelty of it all hits her. Prejean puts both hands against the tiled wall, puts her head down and prays." She obviosly knew that he was going to die. She still fights for him no matter what. She is fighting for him, knowing that no one is siding with what she thinks.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at September 20, 2005 10:40 PM