« The Tragedie of Doctor Faustus | Main | The Tragedie Of Doctor Faustus Pt. 2 »

The Tragedie of Doctor Faustus

So this is my reflection paper and I have something at the end that I thought about when I was writing it.

Danielle Meyer
Dr Jerz
Drama as Literature
10 October 2005
The Tragedie of Doctor Faustus
I know what part Iím talking about but there are too many lines to have it in here. What I want to talk about in my paper is how Faustus basically cut his arm and sold himself to Lucifer, A.K.A. the devil. But then when you read on a few more pages Faustus doesnít even know what Hell is. I think it is a bit naÔve that he signs his soul off to the devil but he doesnít even know where he is going. If it was me I would have figured out what Hell was and then if I liked it or not I would have signed my soul off. I wouldnít sell my soul to begin with and donít really know who would anyway.
Lorin wrote about how the author used certain words and how she didnít know which meaning of the word to choose. I understand what she means by this. I can remember at least two times that I noticed a word that an author used in a line of their text and that I liked how they used that specific word. I also said that I think they use those certain types of words because they want the reader to think.
Andy wrote in his blog on how he saw comparison between Lucifer and Faustus. I never really realized it until I read his blog but he is very right on that. Lucifer wanted to be like god in a very bad way and in turn became the devil. Faustus wants to sell his soul to the devil without even knowing what Hell is.

I don't know if there really is a reason for this or whatever but I was wondering if there was a reason the this play followed Everyman. There Lucifer wanted to be like God and in this one Faustus is selling his soul to the devil. I didn't know if there was a link between Lucifer wanting to be god then becoming the devil and then Faustus wanting to sell his soul to the devil.I don't know...it just got me thinking.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at October 10, 2005 12:01 AM