« The Glass Menagerie Pt 2 | Main | Wildcard »

Kindertransport

Samuels, Kindertransport -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Faith: Look at these remains. Where's the body for these feet? Tha hand for these fingers? Now they're just lost in the millions.

(couple lones later)

Faith: Did they die for you to forget?

I found this line very moving for me. It reminded me of senior year in high school when I had to read Night by Elie Wiesel for English for some reason. I thought that this showed a good refelction on what happened in the war. I thought that it was kind of hypocritical of Evelyn to keep wanting and saying that she forgot about her past but yet when she was about to rip up all the papers she could do it at first. She tried so hard to forget her past that she actually did convince herself that her past was nonexistent. I personally take offense to that though... Your past makes you who you are today... Maybe the reason Evelyn and her daughter don't really have that great of a relationship is because Evelyn didn't have a great one with her own mother.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at November 6, 2005 04:28 PM

I also was very upset by her wanting to basically rip up her past. I mean, it is a big part of who she is and it makes me sad that she is not proud of it, even though her part of her past wasn't anything short of horrible. I was also somewhat offended.

I think you are right that there is a connection between the bad relationship between Evelyn and Faith and the bad relationship between Helga and Evelyn. A lot of times people who have been hurt are the ones who most hurt others, even though they don't mean to.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 6, 2005 10:44 PM