« November 2005 | Main | January 2006 »

December 09, 2005

Tragedy and the Common Man (LAST BLOG ENTRY FOR CLASS)

"The possibility of victory must be there in tragedy"

I loved this line a lot. This made me think back to high school when I thought that tragedy was... well tragic lol. There was no glimmer of happiness. Coming to this class I realized that there is always a chance of hope in a tragedy. There is some small glimpse of happiness in a tragedy. It opened my eyes to literature and plays.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at 10:00 AM | Comments (0)

December 04, 2005

Death of a Salesman

Willy: Funny, y’know? After all the highways, and the trains, and the appointments, and the years, you end up worth more dead than alive.

I thought that this line was foreshadowing the end of the book. I mean everyone knew that he was going to die since someone said it in class but if I did not know the ending I would still feel the same with this line. He says this line and then he goes off and dies in the end of the play. There was a ling that Linda says saying:

Linda: I made the last payment on the house today. Today, dear. And there'll be nobody home.

I thought that this is what he was saying by this line. It was kind of ironic to me in a way.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at 06:07 PM | Comments (0)

December 02, 2005

We, the Media Ch 11, 12, Epilogue

As I finished reading this book I thought of what to write about for this. Instead of really doing what I usually do, which is pick a quote and talk about it, I wanted to talk about the book instead.

This book was actually really informative. I never really came to realize that an every day person can be the media. I never realized how many celebrities had blogs. It was a little confusing to read because it had technical terms that I know I'll never understand but it taught me the basics of blogging. Before coming to college, I never had to blog in my life. The closest I have ever come to blogging was having a livejournal and bloggin on myspace.com. As a matter of fact, I never blogged on myspace.com until I learned about blogging in this class. I never even really heard of a blog. I needed a lot of help in the beginning on how to use a blog and how to do things on it. This book talked about the internet as a new media type. I actually kind of find that funny because in the book before that it told us not to trust the media but to be skeptical of it. This book, however, taught me that not ALL bloggin and internet media sources are bad, I just have to look for the right one. I liked this book just as much as the last book because they both taught me things of what to look for and what not too look for.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at 10:31 AM | Comments (0)

Wilcard

I read a blog in Lorin's blog saying how she was going to miss EL250 and it sparked a thought in my head. I wanted to write something of the sort just for Newswriting.

When I first found out that I had to take Newswriting I wasn't happy. I took a Newswriting class in high school that lasted all year. I'm not going to lie, I absolutely hated it. I basically chose to take the class because 1) I needed the credit and 2) At that time all I knew was that I wanted to write. I didn't really know the jist of writing news (even if it was school news) so I figured I'd try it out and see if that's what I wanted to do. Well It turned out that I didn't like writing for the school paper at all.

So like I said, when I first foudn out that I had to take this class I was pretty angry. I didn't get to choose itbecause it was already on my schedule. As the class time went on I did find that certain hatred that I did have for newswriting. At the same time though in EL227, we learned more than just writing news. We learned about blogging, media, not trusting certain sources, the journalists can be wrong, and the list can go on and on. I think that is the reason why I enjoyed this class more than when I was in the Newspaper in hgh school. Yeah they taught us the jist of newswriting but they didn't go into detail like they did in EL227 and that, I think at least, was the key thing that made me not like the class. We learned the boring things and then went straight into writing news articles.

Unlike Jay, I don't feel the urge to change my major because newswriting is not what I want to do with my life. However, when I watch the news, read articles, look for information on the internet, I will remember this class because it taught me so many things about media and what itis really all about. I enjoyed the class a lot. According to my core classes I have to take three newswriting related classes so I've already got one down. I'm looking forward to learning more about it even if I don't want to change my topic.

I also enjoyed the class. Even though I wasn't very talkative and didn't voice an opinion, I liked hearing about everyone elses opinion on what they thought about something. It taught me to look at other peoples perspective on certain things. A few people in the class live in my dorm room and that was a good thing because I could go to them if I had a problem or I had writer's block, (like many of us did... well that I know at least). It made it easier to know that I wasn't the only one who knew for a fact that they weren't the best journalist and that we could get help off of one another. This class is something that I will take with me for the rest of my college career.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at 10:19 AM | Comments (0)