« Bloggin Portfolio | Main | We, the Media Ch 11, 12, Epilogue »

December 02, 2005

Wilcard

I read a blog in Lorin's blog saying how she was going to miss EL250 and it sparked a thought in my head. I wanted to write something of the sort just for Newswriting.

When I first found out that I had to take Newswriting I wasn't happy. I took a Newswriting class in high school that lasted all year. I'm not going to lie, I absolutely hated it. I basically chose to take the class because 1) I needed the credit and 2) At that time all I knew was that I wanted to write. I didn't really know the jist of writing news (even if it was school news) so I figured I'd try it out and see if that's what I wanted to do. Well It turned out that I didn't like writing for the school paper at all.

So like I said, when I first foudn out that I had to take this class I was pretty angry. I didn't get to choose itbecause it was already on my schedule. As the class time went on I did find that certain hatred that I did have for newswriting. At the same time though in EL227, we learned more than just writing news. We learned about blogging, media, not trusting certain sources, the journalists can be wrong, and the list can go on and on. I think that is the reason why I enjoyed this class more than when I was in the Newspaper in hgh school. Yeah they taught us the jist of newswriting but they didn't go into detail like they did in EL227 and that, I think at least, was the key thing that made me not like the class. We learned the boring things and then went straight into writing news articles.

Unlike Jay, I don't feel the urge to change my major because newswriting is not what I want to do with my life. However, when I watch the news, read articles, look for information on the internet, I will remember this class because it taught me so many things about media and what itis really all about. I enjoyed the class a lot. According to my core classes I have to take three newswriting related classes so I've already got one down. I'm looking forward to learning more about it even if I don't want to change my topic.

I also enjoyed the class. Even though I wasn't very talkative and didn't voice an opinion, I liked hearing about everyone elses opinion on what they thought about something. It taught me to look at other peoples perspective on certain things. A few people in the class live in my dorm room and that was a good thing because I could go to them if I had a problem or I had writer's block, (like many of us did... well that I know at least). It made it easier to know that I wasn't the only one who knew for a fact that they weren't the best journalist and that we could get help off of one another. This class is something that I will take with me for the rest of my college career.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at December 2, 2005 10:19 AM