« How to Read Literature Like a Professor | Main | How To Read Literature Like Professor (19 and 20) »

January 26, 2006

Bernice Bobs Her Hair

"It's such a sure way of getting attraction."

I think this line says a lot about Berince and how she feels about herself. It shows her insecurity on not being popular and how she yearns to have that (obviously through this). It shows that she's changing. I see her changing in two ways. One of the ways is that Bernice is letting Marjorie control her. She is so desperate (and I can't think of another word to use lol) to become popular that she follows the advice from Marjorie. The other way I see her changing is for the better. I think when she starts talking to Warren is when she starts getting self confidence. She's pushing herself to change, even if it's something that she does not want to do.

When Bernice cut Marjorie's braids at the very end of the story, that's when I felt that she reached total self confidence. She changed in a matter of days from being reserved and timid to confident and out there. When she tossed the braids on the front porch, I felt that was her revenge and that she was freeing herself of this vacation that she seemed like she didn't want to be at the first place.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at January 26, 2006 08:20 PM