« Antony and Cleopatra acts 1 and 2 | Main | Home »

Antony and Cleopatra Acts 3-5

I think that in the end I kind of felt mixed emotions towards Antony and Cleopatra. I wanted to feel bad for their suicides but in all reality I don't. Antony is whipped by Cleopatra. When she turns the ship around he follors her leading his navy to defeat. I feel Cleopatra is selfish and not really thinking about what she does to Antony. He yelled at her so she told a messenger to tell Antony that she killed herself. Ok I understand fights and everything in relationships but that, to me, is way to drastic. Why would someone tell the person they loved that they killed themself over a blowup??? He's so in love with her that he kills himseld and I don't think Cleopatra kills herself mainly because of Antony's suicide. I think that's at least half the reason. She doesn't want to go to be Rome with Caesae to be shown off as a prize over the victory. I want to feel bad that Antony and Cleopatra killed themselves but I really don't. The only one I really feel bad for is Enobarbus because he had to leave Antony because he was making decisions and not thinking of his people. He went over to Caesars side. He felt for becoming a traitor to Antony so he went into a hole and died. It's sad that he died over someone elses actions.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at February 24, 2006 11:55 AM

I also think that Cleopatra was selfish and in all reality it just didn't affect Antony but it also ended up killing her as well. Your also right about when you said that she shouldn't of had to tell him that she 'died' just to get him.. She was in wrong for doing that because if it was true love he wouldn't of cared what she had done because 'true love conquers all' right? Well we all knew that these characters weren't going to be are favorites but why do we still feel sad when they die like for example Enobarbus.. why should we feel sad that he killed himself. he is the one that betrayed Antony.

Posted by: brittney Aller at February 24, 2006 01:47 PM

I feel like I can feel for Enobarbus because Antony's stupidity drove him to betray his best friend. I felt he did not want to betray Antony but felt that he had to to survive. Eventually he felt bad for betraying him and then he died. Doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at February 26, 2006 03:55 PM