« The five poems | Main | The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock »

The Raven

Coleridge,''The Raven'' -- Jerz: Intro to Literary Study (EL150)

I liked this poem a lot. Once again I felt like Coleridge was symbolizing life. As I started reading the first stanza I thought that the Raven was going to be mean to the man cutting down his tree. But the man that cut down his tree made me feel like he was the actual Raven and the bird was just helpless. When the Raven planted the seed and went away for "Many Autumns, many Springs", I felt that symbolized life. The bird found a mate and had little birds while the tree was growing. Then when a Woodman came and cut down the tree his family died and so did the tree. Life just came and went and the Woodman didn't care for he needed to make a ship. I never really thought about how much humans affect animals. Our needs are their ways of life.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at February 13, 2006 03:37 PM

But in the end, Mother Nature got the upper hand. It seems to have this large fish eats the small fish eats the tiny fish feeling to it. Man kills the birds, Mother Nature destroys the man.

Posted by: Mike Rubino at February 15, 2006 10:09 PM

That's true, Mike. It also reminds me of the saying Karma's a... well we know the rest. The man killed the birds (I don't know if he meant to do it intentionally though or if he even knew the birds were in that specific tree) and then he died. Looks like karma bit him back and that obviously made the raven happy.

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at February 16, 2006 08:20 PM