« Home | Main | Wilcard - SHU making another Family of Friends - »

Foster (11 and 13)

Chapter 11

"Writers kill off characters for the same set of reasons -- make action happen, cause plot complications, end plot complications, put other characters under stress."

Ahen I first read this I thought that characters were killed off just to get rid of them because they were not needed for the story anymore (not just in literature but also in tv and theater). I read this sentence at least three times and I thought back to every single thing I've read recently (since break) and I could see those reason to when characters were killed off. I found this sentence effective because I could possibly use it in a story for the future (althought I should know it already lol).

Chapter 13

"Writers tend to be men and women who are interested in the world around them. That world contains many things, and on the level of society, part of what it contains is the political reality of the time -- power structures, relations among classes, issues of justice and rights, interactions between the sexes and among various racial and ethnic constituencies."

I really like this section of chapter 13. Again, when I think back to a lot of books that I've read I can see politics in it. I don't uderstand much about politics (and I'll be the first to admit it) but when I was thinking back and saw so many things speaking about issues and racial things and class issues it amazed me. I can think of one book that had class problems and justice problems. It amazes me more that I never made the connection.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at February 26, 2006 03:56 PM

Politics don't always NEED to be found in literature, and I usual enjoy a good story that is devoid of them... but I also can appreciate a well-placed political undertone if it's done right. The best author's, as Foster asserts, are the ones that can infuse their story with the current events of the time, without compromising the story's timelessness.

So many of today's stories and films are completely dated because of their insistence on making obvious political and social references.

Posted by: Mike Rubino at February 26, 2006 08:01 PM

I know that Mike. I have read books in the past that don't have politics in them. I just saw politics in the ones I could rememeber (which wasn't many... maybe like three). I remember in the book that politics is not in EVERY book but it's in a lot of books.

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at February 26, 2006 10:30 PM