« The Three Poems | Main | The Raven »

The five poems

The Little Turtle by Vachel Lindsay

I have to agree with Dena and say that I don't understand this poem at all. It seems like someone just made it up in 2 minutes and thought that was good enough.

The Turtle
by Ogden Nash

Once again I don't understand this poem. If anything, I agree with Andy and say he was just mavelled at how nature is. It kind of reminds me how kids are always asking questions because they are curious of things. We don't necessarily want to know what gender the turtles are but we're curious at how they both look the same (we can't tell them apart) and they are still reproducing.

Trees by Joyce Kilmer

I liked this poem a lot. It's obviously about nature.

"Poems are made by fools like me,
But only God can make a tree."

This is my favorite part of the poem. I felt like it was saying that humans can do a lot of things in their lifetime and we might think we're powerful beings but God created nature and makes it grow. Yeah, humans plant flowers and whatnot but God was the one who created those flowers and they evolved.

The Swing by Robert Louis Stevenson

I liked this poem a lot as well. It reminded me of my childhood when I would try to go as high as I felt comfortable on the swings. Sometimes I'd lay back a little and stare at whatever comes to vision.

I also felt like the swing was a journey and going up and down and seeing all the things that the person in the poem saw are steps in the journey that someone will face. Maybe I symbolize too much (lol) by Robert Louis Stevenson
but that's what I feel.

Happy Thought

There are only two lines in this poem. I felt that the first line was true but the second line was not so much. Yes there are a lot of things in this world that will make us happy. But I don't think we should all be as happy as kings. I don't think that ever single king in the world is really happy. I mean I don't know a king personally and I don't have any phone number from a king but it's just what I feel. I think that the only reason that they are a king is because their father wanted to keep the royal name in the royal spot. They commanded their son to be king. Yes, they have "the life" as some people would say. they have food served, they live in a big place... kinda like you have the fame and fortune. I don't think kings have many true friends. I mean they are respected because of who they are but they're missing that friendship from their lives. I don't know if this is how everyone else feels but this is how I feel. Let me know what you feel about any of these poems.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at February 11, 2006 03:19 PM

Danielle, I totally agree with you on your depiction of The Swing. I think that the author was really trying to show that the swing is like life. When you are young, you have no worries and you can do whatever you want with little or few consequences. When you are an adult, you have more to worry about and like what the author tries to say is that adults dont take time out of the day to just take a step back and see what is right in front of them and actually enjoy life. Life is like swing, you sit back and reach your highs and reach your lows, but what you see in front of you is a miraculous sight of earth and life.

Posted by: Denamarie Ercolani at February 12, 2006 01:35 PM