« The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock | Main | Antony and Cleopatra acts 1 and 2 »

The Raven Academic article.

I think this was one of the few times, if not the first, that I read an academic article and understood it. I understood The Raven by Coleridge but as I read this article I kept seeing the connections he made and I actually liked reading it.

"To make the effect even more powerful, the poet conctrasts the particular symbols in dialectical pairs, such as the rose and the raven, sun and moon, or day and night."

I think out of this whole article I liked the connection between the raven and the rose the most.

"The Rose is frequently either white or red, and the raven is black. this combination of colors means: White -- 'birth and growth' but also purity, and immaculation, red -- 'love and battle', and black -- 'death-divination"

I felt like these three colors depicted the whole play. White is birth and growth. The birthing part was the acorn being planted and the baby birds. The growth was how the tree became more powerful but I also felt that growth could represent how he searched and searched for a lady bird.

"Many Autumns, many Springs
Traveled he with wandering wings:
Many summers, many Winters
I can't tell half his adventures."

That part of the third stanza in the poem made me feel like that was growth too because he was growing older as a bird. The color red means love and battle. There was love for a short time in this poem when Coleridge mentioned the lady bird and the baby birds. The battle is between the Woodman and the raven once the tree is cut down. Black means death. Symbolized by black in the poem was the ravens family dying, the tree dying and the Woodman dying.

"The Woodman used the oak wood to make a ship, but, absurdly, this ship became his coffin."

I really loved this line. I loved how the line was worded. Hacova mentioned right after that sentence that coffins are very often made of oak. I thought that was such a great piece of symbolization because I would have never noticed that if Hacova did not say it.

"Reverend John Coleridge was always preoccupied with his parishioners at Ottery St. Mary and young Samuel felt he never got enough attention, time, and love from his father."

I wondered for a second if this was how his life was then why he did he write about happy love (for a short time). A few seconds later I felt that it was because this is how he wanted his life to be like. It doesn't mention his mother so that makes me wonder. But his father kind of neglected him. I feel that the happy part of the poem is the relationship he wanted with his father and maybe when the woodman died that was a relation for the death of his relationship with his father.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at February 16, 2006 08:17 PM