« Forster "The Machine Stops" | Main | The five poems »

The Three Poems

I haven't read poetry in a while so reading these three poems were kind of a challenge to understand. I think I must have read all three at least three times.

When I read Because I Could Not Stop For Death, the first thing that popped in my mind was A Christmas Carol when Scrooge was being taken around by the three ghosts. It really opened his eyes. I felt like "I" (whoever I is in the story) was being shown life.

"Feels shorter than the day"

This reminds me of as people grow older the days seem to feel shorter. They live their life to the fullest but when there is nothing more you can do the days just seem short.

In Spring and Fall I related the title to the part

"Ah! as the heart grows older
It will come to such sights colder"

When we're a little child our parents tried to protect us from the "real world" as they know it. So when we were young we were happy and we were cared for. As we grew older the real world is shown to us and we really did see sights that are colder than when we were younger. And when we grow older to when we're above 50 we saw sights that were colder than when we were 20. I think though that we don't just see sights that are colder, we feel differently about the way of life.

Dillusionment of Ten O' Clock

The part
"The houses are haunted By white night-gowns"

reminded me a little of Forster's A Machine Stops. They lived in their little hexagonal cubicles and from what I got out of the line in Dillusionment of Ten o' Clock, that is what they do too. I feel like the people are normal but their also dreary and just plain boring.

"People are not going to dream of baboons and periwinkles."

I feel that these people who are boring and dreary think that if they dream about these sort of things that they will be looked at as weird and abnormal. I think this relates to society today. People are scared to think outside the box and maybe even act outside the box. It's like outside of the box is abmnormality and inside the box is the safe normal people who are afraid to get made fun of and take a risk.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at February 9, 2006 11:01 AM