« To the Very Heart | Main | Eats, Shoots & Leaves 2 »

March 21, 2006

Eats Shoots and Leaves (intro and chap 1)

When I first started to read this book, the first thought that I got in my head was someone like a Nazi about punctuation. To say the least, by that thought I was starting to force myself to read the book. But as I started reading, I got what Truss was saying. I mean I know that punctuation really makes a difference with our sentences and the way we express ourselves through writing but it never really clicked until I read it.

"...Punctuation is 'a courtesy designed to help readers to understand a story without stumbling'."

"A woman, without her man, is nothing."
"A woman: without her, man is nothing."

I like how Truss said that punctuation is designed to help readers because by the two examples that she gave on the page after, I got two different understandings of the same words in one sentence. It all depends on where you put the commas, semi colons, colons, apostrophes, and more.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at March 21, 2006 06:02 PM

Danielle, I'm glad to see this book is getting you to think about puncutation this way. We punctuate our sentences not because we are gluttons for punishment, but because we value our readers so highly we don't want them to have to work needlessly.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at March 21, 2006 10:11 PM