« Diamond Age | Main | Diamond Age three »

April 18, 2006

Academic Article

Like everyone else has said, Hayles talks about utopia as being peaceful. I think this is ironic because this does not seem to be what the book is like. I remember reading the book and in a certain part Nell was reading her book at school. It was recess time and she was outside when her book got taken from some schoolboy and eventually a few of them were throwing it back and forth. They also kicked the book around. It was like playing a cruel game of monkey in the middle. Suddenly, for some reason, the kids stopped and ran away, leaving Nell to scrap her book up, run to the corner and continue reading. I think the book symbolizes everything that is opposite in Nell's life. Her father got sentenced and the book seems to be the only comfort she has.

I also noticed how everything seems to be futuristic but whenever we learn about Nell, it seems to just be normal. I don't know if this really has anything to do with anything but I just noticed that. Another thing I noticed is that a lot of the people seem to be technology dependant. I really hope that this isn't a refelction on what some authors think will happen to our future because quite frankly thazt scares me. I will be the first to admit that I am dependant on my laptop, cell phone, cd player as wella s many other technological devices. But I don't (and hope) want our future world to be so dependant on technology that we don't even know how to turn back from that. I think it will be kind of like technology being a dictator and humans are it's victims.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at April 18, 2006 11:50 PM