« Eats shoots and Leaves 4 and 5 | Main | Academic Article »

April 11, 2006

Diamond Age

I noticed reading the short summary about the book in the back that this book takes places in the 21st century. However in the book I've noticed some things happening that don't seem like it would take place in our millenium... well so far.

On page 8 it says "They were strong enough to withstand typhoons but flexible enough to rustle in a breeze. " Now I don't know what "they" is but anything that is good enough to withstand a typhoon but can rustle in a breeze is pretty impressive.

On page 12 it says " Most gentleman's and ladies' gloves nowadays were constructed of infinitesimal fabricules that knew how to eject dirt; you could thrust your gloved hand into mud, and it would be white a few seconds later."

WOW! If I cold have something like that, the use of a washer and dryer would become less significant because that would happen.

On page 41, Bud is in trial for shooting a man in the arm. The man's wife says that the round used on her husband was fired from the gun embedded in the suspect's forehead. If this was actually happening in the wodern day world, it might be a lot harder to find people that shoot other people since it comes from our heads... but on the other hand Bud was caught so we never know.

On page 45, Nell, the daughter to Tequila and Bud and brother to Harv, got herself a new bed. When she first layed it out it was as thin as a mattress. Very soon after it was laid out it made a whoosing noise, The mattress inhaled by itself and looked like a real matress when it was done. This reminded me of an air mattress except with the part blowing it up.

ON page 52, Cotton and Hackworth were talking about make-up responding to the wearer's emotional starte. I don't wear make-up to begin with but I know that the people who do probably wish they could have something like this. It would make trying to have it look perfect easier to them.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at April 11, 2006 07:55 PM

How would you apply what you've learned from Foster to this book?

Note that Bud has the gun implanted in his skull, not his forearm or his finger. What does that tell us about his character?

Note that once Nell learns how to use the "matter compiler," the first thing she does is make beds for her dolls. What does that tell us about her character? Remember that she is Bud's child... what is the author trying to tell us about Nell? What can we conclude about the environment in which she is growing up?

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at April 11, 2006 10:35 PM

Dr. Jerz, to me having a gun implanted into his skull is like his brain and reasoning. He can solve problems quickly. Well that is what i think.

Danielle, I like the parts of the story that you pointed out. I think that they are very great parts that are described so well and really makes you imagine what the objects look like and what they really can do.

Posted by: Denamarie Ercolani at April 11, 2006 11:01 PM

Danielle, I really need that sort of make-up. Can you imagine though, if someone was having a terrible day, their make-up would look like a train wreck. We have waterproof mascara now, but I'll tell you what, it still makes me look bad. Maybe makeup that matches emotions is not such a good idea. LOL.

Posted by: Erin Waite at April 12, 2006 11:09 AM

Dr. Jerz, I agree with what Dena said about if a gun was implanted in Bud's skull then it would deal with his thoughts and stuff. From our discussion on Wednesday I don't think that Nell is like her father much (from what we had to read at that time).

Erin, I can see where you're coming from with the bad weather = bad make-up. Like I said, I never wear make-up so I guess that thought never really occured to me haha. When I wrote that I was thinking of people who were happy and had really great make-up on... The thought of people in a bad mood never crossed my mind... Guess I have to look at the whole side of things haha.

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at April 14, 2006 11:35 AM