« Academic Article | Main | Resurrection Blues 2 »

April 19, 2006

Diamond Age three

I'm not going to lie, I did not finish this book. I read Amanda's and I, like her, cannot read something that I do not like. I was confused with this book a bit on some parts. I tried to make myself get into this book time and time again but it just wasn't working for some reason. I saw the mystery/adventure side of the book that Dr. Jerz was talking about but I just could not finish it. I felt that there was too much details for me to work with in some parts. That extra detail confused me a bit to where I just would not want to read this book. Like I said before, I can't read something that I do not like. I think if I did I'd hate reading because I do not like being forced to read something I hate. I love to read books and I think if that happened more and more, I'd start to like reading less and less. I tried to finish the book but I didn't understand much and just kept hating it more and more. I found myself drifting my mind elsewhere. I feel bad that I did not finish but I can't really help that at the same time.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at April 19, 2006 08:35 AM

A classroom experience can't force you to like something that's not to your taste, but advanced critical thinking does require the abiliy to concentrate on and make sense out of something that is not, on the surface, pleasurable.

The growing confidence that comes with knowing that you can, in fact, get through a "difficult" text -- something that is not already familiar to you -- is a pleasure of its own.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at April 19, 2006 11:21 AM