« Resurrection Blues | Main | Diamond Age »

April 09, 2006

Eats shoots and Leaves 4 and 5

I thought that these sections of the book were a little more bland then the previous ones. Nonetheless I still enjoyed the reading. Truss used a lot of good examples. I didn't learn much because most of the stuff I knew about but it expanded my knowledge on it.

I never knew that an elipis was the proper term for three dots until I came to college. I knew how to use it after a sentence but I never knew that was the proper term. Truss says that elipsis can also be used "to indicate words missing ... from a quoted passage." That was something that I didn't know.

"Whereas a dash is generally concerned to connect (or seperate) phrases and sentences, the tiny tricksy hyphen (used above in such phrases as "quasi-dashes", "double-taps" and "stream-of-conciousness") is used quite distinctly to connect (or seperate) individual words."

I was a little confused when Dr. Jerz was describing the difference between hyphens and dashes. I didn't really know the difference between the two so I most likely have used both of them very wrongly in the past. Reading this from Truss made it a whole lot clearer.

Posted by DanielleMeyer at April 9, 2006 08:02 PM

You are right, these chapters didn't hook me as much as the others did. Hyphens make me think of those people that are too feminist to take their husband's names and end up with two last names that don't even sound normal together. Dashes, I like because it gives me something to use instead of the ever-present comma that is in almost every one of my long sentences.

Posted by: Erin Waite at April 10, 2006 10:15 AM