« Elements of Journalism: 9-10 | Main | Marlowe, "The Tragedie of Doctor Faustus" (up to act II) »

10/11 Tribune Review Article

One of the interesting news/business articles in the Trib-Review's on tuesday was about the Sony plant finding sufficient employees this year.

(Tribune-Review Online)

While the subject was valuable, I couldn't help but notice some of the writing techniques the author used that we have recently discussed.

This article uses seven quotes from people, and each and every time the author tells us this by using the word "said." Because of this, the article appears to have no bias. The author sticks right to the information, and just tells the facts--it's a well written news piece.
Also, the first paragraph tells everything the whole rest of the story elaborates on, thus illustrating the use of the inverted pyramid.

--Something interesting I noticed was that the Trib-Review Online has a place where you can view the "most-read" articles, and it shows the top 5. All of them were sports related--

Posted by DavidDenninger at October 11, 2005 10:17 PM

Yeah, it is rather sad that the most read stories all have to do with sports. Actually, I know a lot of people who say they "read" the paper (as opposed to just watching TV news) but really only look at the sports section and the comics. No joke. It kind of makes you wonder about American priorities?

And being the extreme sports fan that you are, doesn't it annoy you that all the articles are about football, basketball, baseball etc. Don't you wish they would write an article about something like rock climbing or mountain biking for once? Just once? =0)

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at October 12, 2005 02:27 PM

Hi Lorin,
I know what you mean about American priorities. Many people are more intersted in sports and entertianment than business and politics.

And YES-- Some People Snowboard, Rock Climb, Mountain Bike, Kayak, and enjoy Mountaineering. Professional team sports are not the only sports!

Posted by: David Denninger at October 12, 2005 02:32 PM

You make an interesting point about readers' preferences.

I think that the reason sports articles are the most popular is because they are relevant and interesting to a much broader audience than most hard news stories. Sports are easy-access entertainment, while most hard news stories are usually focused on informing rather than entertaining readers.

Posted by: ChrisU at October 12, 2005 05:26 PM

*while the subject material of most hard news stories is informative rather than entertaining.

Sorry, I worded that last part wrong.

Posted by: ChrisU at October 12, 2005 05:28 PM

Chris, you make a very good point also. It is a lot easier and definitely more entertaining to read sports than hard news. The thing that I find most amusing is that the people who probably read those articles about Steelers games are probably some of the same people who just watched the game on TV the night before. They saw the whole game, why do they need to read 5 articles about it? That boggles my mind. It seems like a big waste of time. That is why I wonder about priorities.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at October 12, 2005 07:42 PM

I guess Marshall McLuhan was right, the medium is the massage. People want to be entertained; they want to escape. And it's funny because it's true. And let's be honest, even we do it.

Most people vote for someone based on catch phrases on their campaign. They only watch the TV ads or read the comments that other people make about the candidates, but don't listen to what the candidates have to say themselves.

But even the people that do honestly read the paper only read the things that strike their interest or "massage" their opinions. People don't want to be challenged. This cultural phenomenon stifles public discourse. Why do you think people can't talk about politics without offending or being offended?

It may seem like I think public freedom of choice in the media is bad, but I feel the exact opposite. Freedom of media choice is good. It's just how we use it.

Posted by: Evan at October 12, 2005 10:20 PM

I can see Chris's point. I know plenty of people at home do that exact thing (read the entertainment and sports and nothing else). I will admit I have read only the comics before but I'm trying to change that lol.

I also understand where Lorin is coming from when she said that it is funny to read a story about the Steelers game when people watched it the night before. It seems kind of stupid to read something that you've already seen or heard.

I can also understand where Evan is coming from in his second paragraph. I know PLENTY of people at home who do that, especially people who are uninformed of candidates. I think that if you don't know enough about a certain topic, especially when it comes to politics, don't say anything until you know enough information and facts to back yourself up.

I also agree with David saying that non professional sports are also sports and should really be in newspapers. Even though its not something that everyone does (instead of baseball or football) it is still interesting to read about. I don't do any of those sports and I'd be interested in reading about that.

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at October 13, 2005 03:46 PM