« AP Guide to News Writing (Ch.11) | Main | Yorick Eternalized »

10/21 Lab Reflection

I thought that the lab on Friday was interesting. I realize the importance of us learning the kind of deadline pressure experienced by a professional journalist, but I don't think that the lab was an accurate illustration of it.

When a professional journalist is in the field, I think that he has more ample time to obtain names and quotes, and would be aware of background information. The pressure of time comes after all this information is gathered, and he must write a whole story based on it.

Instead, the lab measured our ability to write random facts with alacrity, and then reconstruct them into a story. I say this not to discredit the lab, for a journalist might need the same critical thinking skills in order to piece together a scandal or other story.

Posted by DavidDenninger at October 23, 2005 04:27 PM

True, Yes, in any laboratory situation, it's only possible to simulate a small, isolated portion of the real world. How do you think you did, when it came to recognize and identify associations between random facts (and to discard those facts that weren't important)?

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at October 23, 2005 11:18 PM

Hi Dr. Jerz-
I think I did ok. I may have bungled one of the facts, specifically about who took the hostage, but I wouldn't have minded getting a grade for the lab.

Posted by: David Denninger at October 24, 2005 07:38 AM