« B1-2: Blogging Portfolio | Main | Improving Our University »

Elements of Journalism: 6-8

I thought that the idea of investigative reporting was a good one, but I think some news sources try too hard. Sometimes is seems like, expecially in broadcast journalism, that the entire news report is like watching a "hollywood dirt" feature on ET. I realize the importance of the news acting as an "exposer," but reporters, in all mediums, try too hard to find flaws the flaws in people, events, and organizations. Of course, this is a generalization- fair reporters must be out there.

"Journalists must serve as an independent monitor of power."

If the news sources consistently play the role of devil's advocate, are they really an independent monitor of power that the people can trust?

Posted by DavidDenninger at October 11, 2005 12:32 PM

That is my biggest issue with news today. Like the internet, a lot of things are said, but where is the lone between real-life and a fairy tale?

Posted by: Katie Lambert at October 11, 2005 04:35 PM

I agree with Katie, I have the same problem with journalism. As David said, people (journalists) are mostly trying to get the most interesting source of information. Unfortunately, people want to hear about "dirt." That's why being an honest journalist has to be hard.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at October 12, 2005 11:24 PM