« Qualities of Life: Personified | Main | Chapters 5-7 »

Fuddy Meers Refledton

Lindsay-Abaire, Fuddy Meers -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Richard: "Somebody lose some bacon?"

Possibly--but more like some marbles!
Fuddy Meers is a really strange play. Lorin said that the language the play used, turned it into more of a comedy. While I see her point, I never even smiled while reading this. Every time a new character was introduced, they were more messed up than the last-- and I love the character descriptions in the front of the play. Especially,

"Limping man- about 40, a lisping, limpoing, half-blind, half-deaf man with secrets."

Just the kind of guy to meet in a dark alley... or... ever.

Gertie's speech problem was a bit much. I think that her lines could at least have the meaning written beneath them- not in the back of the book.

I didn't really like the play. The character's were too wierd for me to empathize with any of them, and the domestic violence was too serious for me to find any of the play funny.

Posted by DavidDenninger at October 4, 2005 11:50 AM

Wow, I didn't realize you were such a whinner David. But I can see why you can't emphathize because YOU are so totally normal. Have fun with your news article! =0)

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at October 5, 2005 12:33 AM

I believe once you see the play performed, it will come together more for you. I'm a firm believer that plays must seen, in addition to being read.

Posted by: Katie Lambert at October 5, 2005 12:35 AM

You're probably right Katie-- I read your blog and realized that when spoken, some parts will be funny.

Posted by: David Denninger at October 5, 2005 12:44 AM