« It Ain't Necessarily So (Ch. 4 & 5) | Main | Shakespeare in the Bush »

Ives, "Sure Thing"

Betty: So you didn't stop to talk because you're a Moonie, or have some wierd political affiliation--?

Bill: Nope. Straight-down-the-ticket Republican

(Bell.)

Bill: Straight-down-the-ticket Democrat.

(Bell.)

Bill: Can I tell you something about politics?

(Bell.)

Bill: I like to think of myself as a citizen of the universe.

(Bell.)

Bill: I'm unaffiliated.

Betty: That's a relief. So am I.

I love this sequence. I think that this interaction summarized the whole play. I enjoyed how "Sure Thing" didn't fit the mold of a standard play, but is it a well made play?

In the introduction, Gwynn points out the similarity to scenes from "Groundhog Day," and I couldn't agree more. He keeps getting chance after chance to get right. Even sometimes Bill says the same exact thing, but Betty's response is different.

The bell, as a tool, is unique. It brings the audience into the play and makes them feel involved too. The way the bell works, it's as if the bell operator is a seperate character with a sense of humor.

Overall I enjoyed the "play," if that's really what you call it. Quite funny.

Posted by DavidDenninger at October 27, 2005 11:11 PM

Is it a well made play, that I ponder, David.

However, I pose this question: how long do you think it would take to be performed on stage?

Also, have you ever been to Punxatawney, Pa? Now that you live here, you should realize the seriousness that is Groundhog's Day....haha.

The bell as a separate character, now there's an interesting thought. Does it function in the role of a monosyllabic narrator?

Posted by: Katie Aikins at October 30, 2005 10:25 PM

I would like some thoughts as to the playwright's intention between the final "long pause" and "short pause" notations that appear at the end of this play.

If they are pausing because they are hopeful to receive a "correct" answer, then haven't they developed some new-found self-awareness? Perhaps such self-awareness is part of the comic element, albeit necessarily a new one that appears only at the end of the play.

Your thoughts?

Vincent Coppola

Posted by: Vincent Coppola at March 6, 2006 02:04 PM