« Williams, "The Glass Menagerie" (Finish) | Main | Samuels, "Kindertransport" »

AP Guide to News Writing (Ch. 9-10)

"The writer, having trained his eye to spot particulars with the intensity of a devout bird watcher, must come to the typewriter with a notebook crammed with them. And then have the discipline to use only those details that tell something about the subject. Details painstakingly collected are not easy to discard."

When we (as a News Writing Class) had to report on our first article, I chose the honors convocation. I remember watching closely and taking copious notes, and when it came to write my article, it seemed as if I barely had enough.

This is not because of some misconception of mine involving the word "copious," but rather a editing process. I cut out more than half the details I took notes on because they were not pertinent to the angle of my article.

I remember wanting very badly to include entertaining tidbits of information, but realizing that while entertaining, the information was useless in telling the story.

Posted by DavidDenninger at November 6, 2005 08:48 PM

I did the same thing David. I, however, wrote on teh very first football game at SHU. I wanted to add everything possible. But now that we are learning, that is what you want. You want information, but it can't be bland. It needs color to spark the readers interest. I think that we as a class have grown as pre-journalists. I think that all this information we are learning and reading will help us with our final article.

Posted by: Denamarie at November 7, 2005 12:30 PM

I have to say that I also wrote down copius notes during the Honors Convocation. I wrote down everything (which as Amanda informed us during our presentation the other day that is one of the worst things you can do is try to get everything...oh how much I've learned since that first article) and I was so unfocused that at first, I had an article that consisted of a play-by-play; an exact chronology of the event. But, once I had developed an angle, it was more difficult to decide what I could use and I felt that I didn't have enough info. It can be quite distressing.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 8, 2005 12:49 PM