The Perils of Lying About Losing Other People's Fake Jewelry

This reflection was initially written in word, I then printed it our on actual PAPER and handed it in. Quaint perhaps, but as a result its not particularily amusing. Until I just now read it, I hadn't realized that word not only corrects my attrocious spelling, (yes, I spelled atrocious wrong only to make a point)  but also seems to suck all the wit out of my writing on this sort of assignment. Wierd. Anyway:

I really enjoyed the irony in this story. I thought it was well done, as it's simple, almost parable-like telling helped to bring out the more obvious theme regarding honesty. The simple idea of the Loisels' suffering for 10 years, which could have easily been avoided by her honesty, overtly reveals this theme. Despite the simplicity of the story, the vivid descriptions of luxury hinted at a more subtle theme about the illusion of wealth. This one is more subtle, and is hinted at in Madame Loisel's fantasies, as it seems she wants to be wealthy purely for superficial reasons. She doesn't dream of financial security or any "real" improvements to she life, she simply wants to appear wealthy and important. This point is further touched upon when the expensive-looking diamond necklace, Madame Loisel's symbol of wealth, is revealed to be a fake.   

My only real problem with the story (this could have to do with the different edition I read) is the lone, oddly brief paragraph mentioning her rich friend. For some reason the two sentences: "She had a rich friend, an old school friend whom she refused to visit, because she suffered so keenly when she returned home. She would weep whole days, with grief, regret, despair, and misery." are set apart from the rest of the story. This makes it appear almost like an afterthought on the part of de Maupassant. These details, which are obviously important to the story, could have easily been inserted either in the first few paragraphs, where the author writes of her dissatisfaction due to the dissonance between the life she has and the one she wants, or in the scene where her husband suggests she borrows the jewels from Madame Forestier.

Carissa Altizer said:

I have to admit, I'm disappointed in the lack of wit. You aren't allowed to correct your spelling in Word anymore. :)

Brooke Kuehn said:

I also thought it was odd how Mathilde is said to sob for days after being around her rich friend because she is so envious. Mathilde borrows a necklace from her rich friend but rather than cry over jealousy she seems rather excited. After reading the first excerpt, i would have expected Mathilde to have gone into a depression for having to borrow jewelry.

DavidWilbanks Author Profile Page said:

Once again, I am extremely sorry about the lack of wit. In the future, I'll just blog for a half-page and print it off, rather than actually writing a reflection. While the result may be slightly less relevant and contain far more spelling mistakes, it will (hopefully) be far more entertaining to read. I must apologize again for wasting your time Carissa.

DavidWilbanks Author Profile Page said:

I definately thought that part was wierd, and seemed uncharacteristic of her. It kind of relates to what I did my close reading on though, I talked about how she was really after the illusion of wealth, and thus doesn't care whose necklace it is, but only that she's the one wearing it.

Brooke Kuehn said:

interesting, i see what you mean. She is all about the appearance so perhaps the fact that she was described as being the most beautiful one at the ball, she could care less that she did not own the necklace.

DavidWilbanks Author Profile Page said:

Also, in the description where it says she is the most beautiful one at the ball, it suggests that the more important thing is other people's reaction to her. She doesn't care that objectively she is beautiful, but rather that everyone else thinks she is. Her beauty is measured purely in the admiration of others.