Why the numbered Illustrative essay rocks!

"Number the Passage for Easy Reference" page 56, Edgar Roberts, in Writing About Literature. I would normally underline that last bit, but MLA ruined that. I guess italicizing titles makes way more sense than underlining them, but now it means that I have to find a new way to indicate that a word would have been said with a verbal emphasis intended to indicate sarcasm. What ever shall I use?

Anyway, the numbered essay:

I've always avoided putting lengthy quotes in my writing for a few reasons:

1. It makes my writing look sloppy. EX: In Some Book, Some Guy is really talking about some major univeral issue when he has Some Protagonist say  "lots and lots of words, perhaps even a couple sentences." This is apparent because....

By the time I'm explaining the observation, the reader only vaguely remembers what I was talking about before the quote.

2. It takes up space, and I prefer my essays to be full of my writing.

3. When they're taken out of context, they lose a bit of their meaning. The reader really ought to know if the lines I'm talking about occur before Some Protagonist falls in love with Some Chick or right after his epic battle with Some Antagonist. 

4. I'm too lazy to type them, and If I screw it up, I look incredibly stupid, or at least mildly inept.

Roberts saves me a massive amount of stress with the whole numbered essay idea. No longer will I get called "too informal" for writing about "that bit when Some Protagonist and Some Bumbling, but Lovable Sidekick have just uncovered Some Antagonist's plans to build Some Extremely Powerful Weapon Capable of Destroying the Universe, and Some Protagonist confesses his love for Some Chick," because NOW I can say (sentence 8) instead....awesome.