Characterization 101

EL237

This chapter was on characterization, and I couldn't find an interesting quote....so I just won't use one.  Apparently some characters are flat, while others are round and developed. It also talked about how some characters are dynamic, and change through the story. Overall, it was pretty basic, and I don't really know what to say about it. I guess the bit on verisimilitude seemed kind of wierd, since writing about characters who are totally normal, seems pretty boring. If every character in literature were realistic, reading would be pretty dull. I understand the need for characters to be true to their own characteristics, (Sir Gawain can't just suddenly decide to get wasted and head to the brothel). However, it doesn't seem all that necessary for them to be true to life. As I recall, Beowulf fought sea-creatures underwater with a sword for a rather impossible amount of time, the main character in "Luck" was ridiculously lucky. This isn't really true to life, but it doesn't matter.