Fake Jewelry, Crazy Medieval Tights, Plot Structure, Daddy Issues and Cross-Dressing Romeos

Alright, now that a few weeks of school have sped by, it is time to pause for a speedy glance in the rear-view mirror to check out what I've been doing. The class, Writing About Literature,  is pretty much about, as the title suggests, writing about literature. For this reason, the entries that will be referenced here are a blend of responses to text-book chapters, and responses to various works of literature, including short stories, plays and poetry. The collection of literature has been entertaining for the most part, and especially varied, as there is no set genre, form, time period or any other governing factor for the collection, all that matters is that its literature, and can be analyzed, and thus written about.

This portfolio is designed simply to showcase the work I've done so far. To begin with, I'd like to present a few blogs that I feel are reasonably well written, in terms of addressing the literature, and providing insight about the material. My very first one for this class, entitled The Perils of Lying About Losing Other People's Fake Jewelry , discusses, in reasonably decent depth, "The Necklace" by Guy de Maupassant. This brief discussion is actually where I got the idea for my most recent essay. The Tale of Lieutenant-General Lord Arthur Scoresby, V.C., K.C.B., etc., etc., etc., is about "Luck" by Samuel Clemens, and "The Man He Killed" by Thomas Hardy. Despite the fact that they are vastly different, one is a poem rather than a story, I was able to make some connections between the two. Back Before Photo ID is about "Three Strangers" also by Hardy. Besides relating some of the funniest bits of the play, I discuss point of view, and its significance to the story. The Abuse of Poetry discusses some poetry by Billy Collins, including "Introduction to Poetry," "On Turning Ten" and "Sonnet."

The reason we blog, rather than write lots of little essays, is that they offer a chance for discussion. Blogs are an online conversation, rather than a work of writing. These next few are blogs of mine that show some interaction and discussion with my peers. A play that explains why women so rarely get convicted of murder, discussed the play Trifles, and sparked some comments. How many sylablles are in "Perceiv'st"?, talks about one of Shakespeare's sonnets, and likewise got some response. Shifting Perspectives, which talks about the chapter in our text about point of view even managed to get some comments, despite the dull title. The Perils of Lying About Losing Other People's Fake Jewelry also got a few comments, which may or may not verify its depth, which I already mentioned.

With any communication, it is necessary for it to go both ways. Thus, it would be remiss of me to not mention other people's blogs that I participated in discussions on. On Aja Hannah's blog on Trifles All Tied Up  I participated in a large discussion of the women's reason for their silence. On Jessie Krehlik's blog on Chapter 3 of Roberts, Fiction = TrueLife? Roberts, CH 3  , we discussed character development. On Josie Rush's blog The One that Got Away , we discuss Hardy's development of the characters and plot in "Three Strangers." A Confession, a Theory, and a Message Walk Into a Blog... ,  , Karyssa Blair's blog about Billy Collins' poetry, I joined in a discussion about the meaning of a poets words.

To increase the chances for communication, it is important that my blogs are done early enough that others get a chance to comment on them. A play that explains why women so rarely get convicted of murder was a full 4 days before it was due. How many sylablles are in "Perceiv'st"?, Back Before Photo ID, and The Tale of Lieutenant-General Lord Arthur Scoresby, V.C., K.C.B., etc., etc., etc. were all posted the day before they were due, and early enough that there was reasonable time for them to be commented on.

We were asked to pick a favorite blog, and it need not even be related to this class. I selected Action v. Intentions, which is about the character Roger Chillingworth, in Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter. This blog was written for my American Lit class, EL266. 

To sum everything up, here is a list, in order of every blog required for the class so far:

The Perils of Lying About Losing Other People's Fake Jewelry-- On "The Necklace" by Guy de Maupass

Hey, I got the book!...thus, without further ado: Chapter 1 --- On Chapter 1 of Writing About Literature by Edgar Roberts, which introduces literary writing.ant.

The Tale of Lieutenant-General Lord Arthur Scoresby, V.C., K.C.B., etc., etc., etc.--- On "Luck" by Samuel Clemens and "The Man He Killed" by Thomas Hardy

Why the numbered Illustrative essay rocks!--- On the type of essay detailed in chapter 2 of Roberts' text.

A play that explains why women so rarely get convicted of murder---- On Trifles by Susan Glaspell

Characterization 101----- On character development, which is discussed in chapter 3 of Roberts.

The Abuse of Poetry----- On poems by Billy Collins

Oh, so that didn't happen. ---- On "An Occurence at Owl Creek," by Ambrose Bierce.

Shifting Perspectives ---- On different points of view, as discussed in chapter 4 of Roberts.

Back Before Photo ID ---- On "Three Strangers" by Thomas Hardy

How many sylablles are in "Perceiv'st"? ----- On Shakespeare's "Sonnet #73"

Plot 101 ---- On plot as discussed in chapter 5 of Roberts.

Daddy/Nazi Issues? ------ On poetry by Sylvia Plath

"No, you're it." -----On Goodnight Desdemona, (Good Morning Juliet) by Anne MacDonald

Dave, you have once again taken full advantage of your opporutnity, taking a routine portfolio checkup and turning it into a way to showcase your wit, thoughtfulness, and insight. I always enjoy hearing your contributions, and this portfolio reminds me of just how valuable they are.