I'd Prefer Not To

EL266

"In that direction my windows commanded an unobstructed view of a lofty brick wall, black by age and everlasting shade; which wall required no spy-glass to bring out its lurking beauties, but for the benefit of all near-sighted spectators, was pushed up to within ten feet of my window panes."

I really like the short ironic descriptions that Melville uses in "Bartleby the Scivener." The line above is one example. Suggesting that if anyone wanted to admire the beautiful wall, they were in luck since it's so close to the window, is a lot more entertaining than just saying "the window offered only a crappy view of a wall."

The way he described Turkey's habit of getting drunk on his lunch break was hilarious, as he just overtly alluded to it without saying it. Only that he his face curiously got redder and he got clumsier. I loved the line where he said that a man couldn't afford to have such a lustrous face, as well as a lustrous coat. It's just funnier than saying "he spent all his money on booze."