Framed Comic Frames

EL237

I really like the framing used to tell the story in Maus by Art Spiegelman. By having the story be told after the fact, and including the interaction between Artie and his father, it lends the story a very realistic feeling, and more human element.

What I found very interesting is the contrast in tone between the two stories. In the present, Artie's father complains about trivial matters, but in the flashback portion, his narration is direct, to the point and lacks much commentary. On page 44, in one frame Vladek is complaining that the chicken was too dry. In the frame below that he says "We were given army trainings for a few days and then, by the start of September we were on the frontier.." While being sent to war with only a few days training is far worse than eating some dry chicken, Vladek makes no note of it until Artie asks him about. I just felt that this contrast was interesting.

What I found very interesting is the contrast in tone between the two stories.

This goes along with what Jess talked about in class today. Perhaps Vladek didn't want Artie to have to experience his past, even through memories, so he complains about the little things and only brushes upon the events that were actually painful.

DavidWilbanks Author Profile Page said:

Oh, I definately think that has a lot to do with it. Jess' discussion touched on this quite a bit, and I think we did a pretty thorough job exploring it. The information from the Second book really supported this idea.

Dianna Griffin said:

Dave, it does add more "human element," yet all the characters are animals. I love how he does this. I don't know why, but it just makes it so much more relatable. Like I said in Shellie's blog, I think they should use this book in elementary schools as a way to introduce children to the Holocaust. In a way it is a little graphic, but they need to understand the severity of the Holocaust. Therefore, they should be taught in a way that won't eliminate the details, but it is still age appropriate.