I'm going to argue that I thought there was a problem, but that there isn't

EL237

Alright, in that sample essay in Roberts Chapter 12, on "Desert Places" by Frost, I had a problem with the thesis. It contended that a line in Frost's poem seemed out of place, and abrupt, but that it actually wasn't. This structure just seems like a weak attempt to make ANY unarguable point arguable, as you make both claims...kind of. It seems that this would only ACTUALLY be arguable if the writer wasn't the only one to ever think that this line seems abrupt. He raises a question only to negate it. I could similarily say "I thought that The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, due to its use of racial slurs, was intended to promote racism, but actually it criticises the society in which it takes place." That really is no thesis as I'm raising a weak, ridiculous point, just so I can knock it down. It kind of feels like thats what the sample essay did. While it would be difficult to argue, in the case of both thesises, there would be SOMETHING to argue, if each just stuck to the original suggestion, rather than presenting it, then arguing against it.

That said, I love using this particular setup to present a commonly believed point or one that at least one scholar believes, before crushing it with a brilliant argument and then poking its corpse with the sharp stick of wit. Arguing against a position that you yourself fabricated seems a bit like taking shots at a stationary target. I'll admit, I have picked some rather weak targets to crush....(In STW I argued against essays by Jean Killbourne and Rick Santorum, which is ALMOST dishonorable in its relative ease), but I prefer to avoid arguing against some silly notion that I made up....other people have plenty of silly notions ripe for argument.