Writing of Rapid Deceased Romantics

Wierd, it seems like I just wrote one of these. In truth there are probably less blogs for this portfolio than the last. (which may result in a few repeats) Anyway, this is my second portfolio for my class, Writing About Literature, . The first one explained this next bit, so skip to the next paragraph if you've read it. Anyway, the class is pretty much about, as the title suggests, writing about literature. For this reason, the entries that will be referenced here are a blend of responses to text-book chapters, and responses to various works of literature, including a book review, a novel, poetry and even an academic literary article. The collection of literature has been entertaining for the most part, and especially varied, as there is no set genre, form, time period or any other governing factor for the collection, all that matters is that its literature, and can be analyzed, and thus written about.

This portfolio is designed simply to showcase the work I've done since the last one. To begin with, I'd like to present a few blogs that I feel are reasonably well written, in terms of addressing the literature, and providing insight about the material. Ironically, one of the least cleverly titled blogs, Wordsworth and Yeats.....or something more clever than that. discusses, in reasonably decent depth some poems by romantic poets...you can guess which ones. I kind of like this one because I felt I made some unique observations, and got to show off my knowledge of Greek mythology.  I'm going to argue that I thought there was a problem, but that there isn't is actually about a chapter from Edgar Roberts' text Writing About Literature. Usually my better work isn't about text-books. Anyway, I mostly found fault with the thesis in the sample essay. Another good one is a careful analysis of a conversation in The Quick and the Dead, by Joy WIlliams, which seems to include Words You NEVER Hear in Arizona Bars. The last one analyzes the play "Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet)" by Ann MacDonald. I included it because it is more of an analysis of drama than literature as it discusses the non-literary elements of the play, primarily the Rapid Cross-Dressing that much of the cast must undergo during this production.

The reason we blog, rather than write lots of little essays, is that they offer a chance for discussion. Blogs are an online conversation, rather than a work of writing. These next few are blogs of mine that show some interaction and discussion with my peers.Words You NEVER Hear in Arizona Bars, which I already mentioned sparked the most conversation by far.  Rapid Cross-Dressing got a couple of comments regarding the variations in cast with different productions got a few as well. In  Wow, this is Journalism? I wrote about how different the book review style is from the standard AP style used in most journalism, got a couple as well.

With any communication, it is necessary for it to go both ways. Thus, it would be remiss of me to not mention other people's blogs that I participated in discussions on. On Carissa Altizer's blog, Quit Your Books and Grab Your Hippi Skirts! we discussed Wordsworth's poem "The Tables Turned." It seems to resonate with students. On Kayla Lesko's blog Um.......... WHAT?!, several students discussed their confusion at the plot, or lack there of, in The Quick and the Dead. In Dianna Griffin's blog we discussed the idea that Names Can Have Unseen Meanings, in the same book.

To increase the chances for communication, it is important that my blogs are done early enough that others get a chance to comment on them.Words You NEVER Hear in Arizona Bars  was up the day before it was due, thus all the comments.Rapid Cross-Dressing was up the day it was due, Wordsworth and Yeats.....or something more clever than that. was just a little late. Admittedly, this is where I kind of failed this section. Many of the blogs didn't get posted until the break. I had big assignments for several classes right around midterms, and got behind. That is something I'll have to work on for the rest of the semester.  

We were asked to pick a favorite blog, and it need not even be related to this class. I selected ....and if for some reason it's not from Shakespeare, it's from Chaucer, which actually combined concepts from two other classes. In American Lit. we read Walden, by Thoreau, which this blog is primarily about. We also read How To Read Literature Like A Proffessor by Foster, which had a chapter about how frequently Shakespeare is referenced in other works. In another class I read the Canterbury Tales by Chaucer around the same time, which is probably why I noticed an obscure reference to the Nun's Priest's tale in Walden, which is what I wrote about.   

To sum everything up, here is a list, in order of every blog required for the class since the last portfolio :

Rapid Cross-Dressing On Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet) by Ann MacDonald

Wordsworth and Yeats.....or something more clever than that. on, well, Wordsworth and Yeats.

I'm going to argue that I thought there was a problem, but that there isn't on Chapter 12 of Roberts' text and "Desert Places" by Robert Frost

Words You NEVER Hear in Arizona Bars on The Quick and the Dead by Joy Williams

Research Article: Goodnight Desdemona on, obviously, a research article about Goodnight Desdemona (Good Morning Juliet) by Ann MacDonald

Kinda Anti-Climactic on The Quick and the Dead by Joy Williams

At Least I'm on the same page on The Quick and the Dead by Joy Williams

Wow, this is Journalism? on a book review of The World Without End by Ken Follet