Dickens and Clemens

EL237

The most difficult part of reading this, was overcoming the automatic image of Scrooge as a duck with a Scottish accent (once again Disney has taken it's toll on classic literature).

The narration, with the obvious exceptions of the narrator participating in the story, and speaking with a Misouri accent, reminded me a bit of the narration in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (or I've just spent enough time reading/researching/analyzing that novel that everything reminds me of it).

The narrator's often directly addresses the reader, (such as defying him to introduce him to someone with a merrier laugh than Scrooge's nephew [who I think of as either Huey, Dewey or Louis]) In some cases the narrator (like Huck in the scene at the circus), offers a judgement on the scene which is clearly innacurate, and obvious to the reader. When the narrator talks about how Topper's conduct in Blindman's Bluff, is so terrible that the sister spent a long time admonishing him for it behind the curtains, most readers (though perhaps just the one's with dirty minds) had a pretty good idea that very little admonishing was going on.

Subtle funny bits like this, and others offered by the narrator really helped to make this more entertaining than other simple tales of morality. Honestly, I may have to give A Tale of Two Cities another shot. Back in 8th grade when I read it, I didn't enjoy it much, but now I think I may.