EL237 Final Portfolio

This is my final portfolio for the class, Writing About Literature, . The first one explained the class, so skip to the next paragraph if you've read it. Anyway, the class is pretty much about, as the title suggests, writing about literature. For this reason, the entries that will be referenced here are a blend of responses to text-book chapters, and responses to various works of literature, including an editorial, a play, a textual novel, and a poem. The collection of literature has been entertaining for the most part, and especially varied, as there is no set genre, form, time period or any other governing factor for the collection, all that matters is that its literature, and can be analyzed, and thus written about.

This portfolio is designed simply to showcase the work I've done since the last one. To begin with, I'd like to present a few blogs that I feel are reasonably well written, in terms of addressing the literature, and providing insight about the material. In Roberts Got It Wrong: Vowel Sounds and the English Language, I got to talk about phonology, which I studied during a certification course for Teaching English as a Second Language. In Go Right Ahead and Decline.......I've Got My Reasons I discussed an editorial written about the decline in the number of students studying English....and pointed out that having less writers around is sort of in my favor. In Dickens and Clemens I discussed some similarities in the narrators in Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and A Christmas Carol.

The reason we blog, rather than write lots of little essays, is that they offer a chance for discussion. Blogs are an online conversation, rather than a work of writing. These next few are blogs of mine that show some interaction and discussion with my peers. Roberts Got It Wrong: Vowel Sounds and the English Language was the only one that got any comments.

With any communication, it is necessary for it to go both ways. Thus, it would be remiss of me to not mention other people's blogs that I participated in discussions on. I commented on Dianna Griffin's blog What or Who Changed Ebenezer Scrooge we discussed the various causes of Scrooge's change in A Christmas Carol. On Brooke Kuehn's blog We Can Do It I pointed out that the decline in English Majors doesn't necessarily indicate a decline in niether reading nor writing. On Josie Rush's blog So What? I talked about Roberts' chapter on analyzing prosody.

To increase the chances for communication, it is important that my blogs are done early enough that others get a chance to comment on them. I didn't do so well on this, as Roberts Got It Wrong: Vowel Sounds and the English Language, Dickens and Clemens and Go Right Ahead and Decline.......I've Got My Reasons were all done the day they were due, and the rest were late. The end of the semester has been busy for me.

To sum everything up, here is a list, in order of every blog required for the class since the last portfolio :

One Act is All it Takes --- On Anton Chekov's "The Bear"

Ideas --- On Roberts chapter 7

Porphyria's Lover --- On Robert Browning's "Porphyria's Lover"

Roberts Got It Wrong: Vowel Sounds and the English Language ---- On Roberts Chapter 13

Go Right Ahead and Decline.......I've Got My Reasons ----- On William Chace's "The Decline of the English Department"

Dickens and Clemens ---- On the first part of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol

Christmas Ghosts ------ On the second part of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol

Chapter 16 ------ On Roberts chapters 10 and 16