« News Writing Weblog Portfolio | Main | Drama as Literature Blog Portfolio »

Academic Article on Oedipus

Rix, ''Was Oedipus Framed?'' -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

"The strenght of the divine wrath is felt in the beginning when the state adn whole human society suffers from the palgue that the regicide, the sin against natural law, has brought on the human society."

When i read this part of the academic article, I thought when he said "the sin against natural law" was referring to incest and that it is not natural and inllegal.

However, when i read this article, i did think it was dry, but i learned a lot more in depth information on Oedipus Rex. I never read this story before, so by reading this article, made me understand it a bit more.

Posted by Denamarie at September 29, 2005 11:10 AM

Dena, I really think that it was dry too. It didn't really keep my attention. However, that wasn't its purpose anyway. It was really informational. I learned a lot more about Oedipus as well. He seemed to bring up points that I never really thought about before.

Another interesting thing was how many other sources he used. He talked about others who've studied Oedipus as well. I feel that this was great to have in his article. It really supported what he felt and I know that he was being trughful because of all the time that was obviously put into it.

Posted by: Andy Lonigro at September 29, 2005 12:28 PM

I just wanted to say Dena that i agree on this article being dry. It was informative though. I understand some things i did not understand before about the play.

Posted by: Rachel Prichard at September 29, 2005 04:20 PM

Most scholarly journals are a little dull, but you'll almost always come away with a little more insight into a subject. Sometimes with more than you ever wanted to know. :-)

Posted by: Katie Lambert at September 29, 2005 09:14 PM

It's true that academic writers don't worry about entertaining their readers. If you read another article about Oedipus, it will probably hold your interest more, since you'll be able to make more connections between what you already know and what you're learning. Then when you read the next article, it will have even more meaning. And so on and so forth.

I'm never going to quiz you on the contents of this article -- it's the skill of being able to read and understand an academic article that I'm interested in helping you develop. I'm looking forward to our discussion tomorrow.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at September 29, 2005 09:31 PM