« United by the rings | Main | Tell me the truth »

Death Penalty

Farley: Are you familiar with the Old Testament, "Thou shalt not kill but if thou shed blood of man by man shall your blood be shed"?
Prejean: Yes. But in the New Testament Jesus speaks of grace and reconciliation.
Farley: Reconciliation is achieved by accepting God's love. Poncelet has to understand that Jesus died for his sins if his soul is to live an eternal life...

In this part of the play/movie, I began to question myself more and more about the death penalty. Is it for the good or the bad? Does it really end the problem in our society of murder rates? In a way it is very contradicting, but in other ways, they deserve it. I was wondering what everyone else thought. I do believe in the death penalty. I also agreed with Prejean about reconciling to God for your sins. I really was proud for Sister Prejean about taking a stand for Matt, even though he was guilty. She took alot of crap from other catholics and still helped Matt rekindle his relationship with God. But besides that, what do you think about the death penalty?

Posted by Denamarie at September 19, 2005 11:15 PM

Dena, yeah the death penalty is an issue that took me a long time to decide how I felt about it for the very reasons Farley and Prejean debate in the quote you gave. But over time I have decided that I don't believe in the death penalty for the following reasons:
1. I don't believe it actually PREVENTS murders. I don't think people crazy enough or angry enough or influenced in some other way enough to kill somebody, are going to stop and think "oh wait, I don't really want to kill this person because then I might be killed!" Sure they also don't think "on no I might have to spend life in prison!" and rethink their actions. But, it does make sense to put people in jail who have killed in order to protect other people.
2. Yes, the Bible does say "and eye for an eye" but (and this is why the Bible is so often a controversy in itself)it also says that God will be the judge. It is not our place to seek revenge. Ultimately God will be the one to decide that person's fate. Not us.
There are a few other reasons, but those are the main two that make me feel that the dealth penalty is not only wrong, but it is an ineffective form of punishment. And I also understand that the families of murder victims want revenge, but the truth is killing the killer, won't bring back the lost loved one.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at September 20, 2005 04:11 PM