« Death Penalty | Main | Save my children or save my siblings? »

Tell me the truth

Sophocles, Oedipus the King (Up to Scene III) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Teirseias: "The man you have been looking for all this time, the damned man, the murderer of Laois. That man is in Thebes. To your mind he is foreignborn, But it will soon be shown that he is a Tehban, a revelation that will fail to please."

In this quote, Teirseais, the truth seeker, is blatanly telling Oedipus that he killed Laois. However, Oedipus, will not believe for a second. He is sure tha;t; Creon made the old truth teller come to him and tell him these lies. But what is really happening is that Teirseias is telling the truth. The irony to this is that Teirseias is blind and Oedipus keeps referring to his blindness, but what he really doesnt know is that he is blind to what the truth seeker is telling him, he really killed Laois.

Posted by Denamarie at September 25, 2005 05:10 PM

I think the dialog between Oedipus and Teiresias is kind of funny. It's like they're really letting each other have it.

OEDIPUS I know not thou wouldst utter folly, else Long hadst thou waited to ve summoned here.

TEIRESIAS Such am I -- as it seems to thee a fool, But to the parents who begat thee, wise.

It just seems to me that all they do througout the whole play is make fun of one another. And they seem to get on each other's case throughout their dilogue.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at September 26, 2005 12:25 AM