« Machinal Reflection Paper | Main | Death Penalty »

United by the rings

Wojtyla, The Jeweller's Shop -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Andrew: They will constantly act as a reminder of the pat, as a lesson to be memorized for good, and they will constantly open up the future, joining the past to the future. By the same token, they are, for all time, like the last two links in a chain, to unite us invisibly.

WOW...that sums up exactly how i felt when i read these lines. It was just so beautiful and compassionate. I love literature because it allows the writer to writer what they want, and have the reader interpret the book or lines the way they want. These lines showed his compassion towards his fiance, how he feels about the engagement and his future with her. It showed how much he really wanted to marry Teresa and how he felt about the rings they will be putting on to each others fingers. I love how Andrew also called them artefacts and then said but soon they will mark their fate. It was so moving. I am wondering though what he meant by a 'lesson to be memorized for good'; what exactly was the lesson, finding his true love, i really don't know. Does anyone know what the lesson is or was shall i say?

Posted by Denamarie at September 18, 2005 08:11 PM

It seems to me that Wojtyla wants us to look a marriage in a very revered way. Wojtyla (who was Pope John Paul II) had a very positive and santified view upon it, so it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for him to use drama to make the audience feel dearly about marriage. He does this extremely well, the relationship between Teresa and Andrew is almost heavenly bestowed upon them

Posted by: Kevin Hinton at September 18, 2005 09:55 PM

Denamarie, I agree with what you said in your blog. As a reader, you get a warm feeling towards Andrew's character when he says this. You're right, it is compassionate and though I don't want to say this as a man, it's beautiful too. I think that Wojtyla wanted his audience to like Andrew's character, I know I did. When he says those words about the rings, we know that he isn't going to be a jerk marrying her for some other reason. We know that he really loves her. I think that it's awesome to finally really read a play that character really loves another character.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at September 18, 2005 10:17 PM