« Elements of Journalism CH 6-8 | Main | Spurlock Lecture »

Battle of the Angels

Evil Angel: Go forward, Faustus, in that famous art.
Good Angel: Sweet Faustus, leave that execrable art.
Faustus: Contrition, prayer, repentance? What of these?
Good Angel: O, they are means to bring thee unto heaven.
Evil Angel: Rather, illusions, fruits of lunacy, that make them foolish that do use them most.
Good Angel: Sweet Faustus, think of heaven, and heavenly things.
Evil Angel: No, Faustus, think of honour and wealth.

I feel that this is a great act in the play. It is demonstrating that Faustus really does not know what to do with his 'magic'. He wants to have the wealth and the power, in which is talks about later. If Mephistophilis is allowed by Lucifer to stand by Faustus, he will be unstoppable. However the good angel is looking out for him, saying that he will not be allowed into heaven if he uses his hateful art. Faustus does think of contrition which is sorrow for sin of fear of damnation as well as prayer and repentance which is remorse for past conduct or sin. I think Faustus feels that if he gets this power, that he can make up for all his wrongdoings and help others as well.

Posted by Denamarie at October 8, 2005 02:09 PM

I think that God will forgive Faustus at any time, but I believe that his pride will be the thing that hold him down like a ball and chain. I also think that Faustus at first want to use his powers of darkness for selfish purposes. (Like when he asked for a wife)But the good things that he want cannot be fufilled by his servant. So I think once Faustus realizes that this isn't going for hiom he will repent.

Posted by: KevinHinton at October 9, 2005 06:09 PM

I like that Deana Marie took these lines from the play. To me it seems like faustus's own conscious. Like he was having a battle with his conscious.

Posted by: Rachel Prichard at October 9, 2005 07:22 PM

Denamarie, I agree. I think that Faustus wants power most of all. And the easiest way for him to get power is by joining the 'dark side.' I think that as Kevin said, his ego will get in the way. Doing good things isn't as easy as doing bad things and I think that Lucifer's offers are just too tempting.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at October 9, 2005 08:50 PM

I agree as well. Obviously pride and ego are two different things. And I think his pride will turn into egoness.

Posted by: Danielle Meyer at October 9, 2005 11:40 PM