« AP Guide to News Writing CH 5-7 | Main | Elements of Journalism CH 6-8 »

I want to be God too!

Anonymous, York Corpus Christi Plays -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Lucifer: Oh, what, how I am worthy with worship like this! In a glorious glow, my glittering gleams. I ams so mightily made that my mirth may not miss; I shall abide in this bliss, through my brightness of beams. By concern i need never be driven; All might in my hand i am wielding; Above i shall always be dwelling, On high, in the highest of Heaven.

Lucifer is trying to make his way up to heaven so that he can be like God. He feels that he is worthy of having power and people to worship and follow him.

Lucifer: To my beauty no one can compare. I feel im so fresh and so fair; my power surpasses each peer.

Lucifer speaks here as if he knows that no one can compare to him. He is very into himself. I liked how after Lucifer fell from trying to make it up to God that the good angel says that he shall go to hell for his prideful intent. I think that she believes that there is no other God, and that for Lucifer thinking he is and tried to accomplish it, that he shall burn in hell for overlooking the power of the one and only God.

Posted by Denamarie at October 6, 2005 08:40 AM