« AP Guide to News Writing CH 11 | Main | Sponges? »

It Ain't Necessarily So CH 1

When I read the prologue, intro and especially chapter one, I was a little upset with the newspapers. I really did not know that they did not publish the good news. At the very end of the AIDS story, they said the newspapers "accentuate teh negative and eliminate the positive." I get where they are coming from because Americans love hearing bad news. "Bad news is exciting: scandal, war, murder." When i was reading this i noticed the chapter said, most papers are bias in favor of bad news. And i thought and said to myself, yep. If that is what gets the newspapers off the stands well then ok. But I would much rather hear good news, that is just me. Also the editors chose what they want printed, so whatever they like goes in.

"News" is not altogether objective reality; instead, it is brought to you through the subjective decisions of reporters and editors who necessarily have blind spots, because they are only human and fallible. That sums up mostly why sometimes good news is not put over bad news.

Posted by Denamarie at October 21, 2005 08:20 PM