« Spurlock Lecture | Main | You got what you aked for Faustus. »

Spurlock Article

I would love to hear your comments about my article. It will help me in the future on other articles, THANKS!

Denamarie Ercolani
Jerz
EL227
5 October 2005
Spurlock

Spurlock Making Connections
On Thursday October 6, independent film director and screenwriter Morgan Spurlock made an appearance at Seton Hill University. Spurlock is known for his film Super Size Me, where he featured the negative effects of fast food.
“This man is just like me,” Frank Klapak, the Professor of Communication and Education said. “We both do videography and write. But he makes thousands of dollars making as ass of himself.”
The lecture began on a great note. Klapak said that Spurlock is an “intellectual jackass” and wants us to basically take a step back from everything and look at ourselves as a society and how we are pressured by corporate society.
Spurlock began his lecture on how he came about with the idea for his Academy Award nominated documentary Super Size Me. “I actually came to the idea at Thanksgiving in 2002,” he said with a smirk. “It was really ironic.”
A few months earlier he was watching the news about two girls who were suing McDonalds for their health and thought “its crazy, its stupid, its nuts.”
After talking to his friend about his idea, they began working on the documentary.
There was a basis for contradiction. They [the corporations] target their product at younger children. Spurlock went on to say that he is a “big believer in personal responsibility” but that there also is a limit. There is also corporate responsibility. If they want to make a difference, they should stop targeting at such a young age.
Super Size Me premiered at the Sundance Film Festival in January 2004. “The movie just took off. It was amazing,” said Spurlock.
He talked a lot about coincidences that occurred before, during and after the opening of the movie. McDonalds, a week before the premiere, eliminated the supersize option for ‘menu simplification’. “Just a coincidence, right?” Spurlock said with humor Just six weeks after the movie opened, sales dropped 75 percent.
McDonalds also began the “Go Active Meal” as well as the Ronald McDonald exercise video. “That’s true, you can’t make that shit up,” Spurlock said to the ‘coincidences’ that occurred because of his documentary.
Amanda Nichols, also a freshman, said “I still eat fast food here and there even after I watched his movie. I think he made a great point, and that he influenced a lot of people in America to watch what they eat.”
Basically, that was Spurlocks whole objective to influence Americans to watch what they eat and their health. “The greatest benefit I got from this experience is it made me a conscience consumer and Alex is very proud of me. That is what we all should be, conscience of the amount of food we intake a day.”

Posted by Denamarie at October 10, 2005 12:37 PM

Hey Dena,
Do you remember when we read Chapter 3 of The AP Guide to News Writing: Leads: The Agony of Square One? The section called "what's the difference?" encourages journalists to look at each story thinking "what is different about this story from other stories like it?" Morgan Spurlock is someone who has been covered a lot. So think about a way to start it that is original. And also remember that you should have an interesting angle for the same reason. That is what I would say to improve your paper. I liked it though!

P.S. Have a great time this weekend! I know how much you were looking forward to it!

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at October 11, 2005 12:42 AM

For a freshman, I truly think that you have great ideas, and great quotes to back up your story. I think that your story is slightly biased toward Morgan Spurlock, because hey, not everyone likes him. That would be the only comment though. I think that you did a really good job on this article, and I also think that the effort you put into this article will reflect the grade that you deserved. Nice job.

Posted by: Jason Pugh at October 12, 2005 10:04 AM