« Sure thing....(Bell) | Main | It Ain't Necassarily So CH 4-5 »

Storytelling

Bohannon, "Shakespeare in the Bush" -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

"Storytelling is a skilled art among tehm; their satandars are hig and the audiences critical--vocal in their criticism."

I thought that this helped understand how nervous he was to tell the tribe the story about Hamlet. The tribe was very vocal when he was telling the story saying how that is not how it works in their culture. I would have also felt like him and want to yell at them and tell them to shut up and listen!!
I also thought the way he tied in some of their culture into the play to make it easier for them to understand was really qutie amazing. I thought the way he presented it was great and I enjoyed it with the twist.

Posted by Denamarie at October 26, 2005 10:29 AM

Yes, I was also impressed with how she combined the story with their culture. I imagine it would require a solid understanding of the text. Though I do think their responses and lack of understanding might be slightly exaggerated.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at October 26, 2005 06:44 PM

I agree Dena! I think I would have quit after the third or fourth interruption. It was so nice of him to add in their culture, and in a way, he proved himself right. At the beginning, he is talking about how humans are humans, and they are the same everywhere, the only thing that wil change are small details and translating the language. By adding the culture detais, he shows this.

Posted by: Chera Pupi at October 26, 2005 07:56 PM

I loved this quote too, Dena! It really shows how good of storytellers they are. I think it'd be intersting to be that guy and be able to go to a tribe in Africa and have the opportunity to listen to stories.

Posted by: AmandaNichols at October 26, 2005 08:06 PM

"I also thought the way he tied in some of their culture into the play to make it easier for them to understand was really qutie amazing. I thought the way he presented it was great and I enjoyed it with the twist."

I am inclined to disagree with you. I think that her portrayal of "Hamlet" was terrible. Actually, the two things that bother me the most are these:

First, she thinks that she can somehow relate "Hamlet" to a tribe who speaks a language she can't speak very well!

Second, she thinks that this illustrates her friend to be right-- as if this anecdote somehow proves that other cultures can't understand Shakespeare. All we know from this story is that if you try to tell a story in a language that is unfamiliar to you, you'll probably butcher it. To accurately test the theory, one of the tribesmen would have to learn english and then read "Hamlet" for himself. Then he could relate his interpretation of it to us.

Posted by: David Denninger at November 3, 2005 10:24 AM