« Everyman | Main | AP Guide to News Writing CH 5-7 »

Who really is that man behind the mask?

Lindsay-Abaire, Fuddy Meers -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Claire: That puppet's got a potty mouth, Philip.
Limping Man: Thack.
Claire: Right. Zack. What'd I say?

Claire knew all along that "Zack" was really Philip. Even though she has amnesia, she still can remember tramatic events in her life, or people that hurt her. The limping man was trying to cover up his real identity of being the old abusive husband, but was not doing a very good job.

Limping Man: To the country. Your mother hath a houth there.
Claire: She does?
Limping Man: Our mother I mean. She'th my mother too, even if she tethtified againth me, even if she thaid I wath dead to her, she'th thtill my mother.

The Limping Man slipped everyonce in a while about who he really was. But because Claire had the amnesia, he knew she would forget about the his mistakes. Another part where she could of noticed he was lying was when Gertie said Zack fell out of a tree, but "Zack", or Philip shall i say, had a burnt ear, which not could have been caused by a tree accident. There were many clues leading to his real identity and she didnt notice till the end of the play.

Posted by Denamarie at October 4, 2005 10:12 AM

She calls Richard "Phillip" in the beginning though. I kept wondering when we'd find out about Phillip since she kept mentioning him.

Posted by: Kayla Sawyer at October 4, 2005 08:06 PM

She didn't notice till the end of the play because she did have amnesia. she had trouble remembering everything that happened and in many of the violent scenes she was clueless and happy.

I think that if she would have figured it out earlier than the whole dramatic effect of the story would have been ruined.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at October 4, 2005 08:10 PM

The husband's fear of bacon seems, at first, just another meaningless character trait, but it eventually makes as much sense as it's possible to make in this play.

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at October 4, 2005 09:09 PM

This play, like Claire's mind is like a puzzle missing several pieces. As the play progresses, the audience knows no more than Claire. We learn and compute her life along with her.

Posted by: Katie Lambert at October 5, 2005 12:37 AM