« Spurlock Article | Main | Tribune Review Reflection »

You got what you aked for Faustus.

Marlowe, Faustus (Finish) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Good Angel: Oh Faustus, if thou had'st given ear to me, innumeraable joys had followed thee. But thou did'st love the world.

The Angel said it very well. The Good Angel told Faustus not to take on the 'magic' and horrible art, but he did. Faustus was to selfish and was not thinking ahead to when his four and twenty years were up, what would happen to him. However, he got what he wanted, power. But did it give him as much pleasure as he thought it would now that he has to go to hell. Do you think Faustus enjoyed his short time of power, or do you think he regrets not listening to the Good Angel? What do you think?

Posted by Denamarie at October 11, 2005 02:01 PM

Faustus isn't terribly consistent on whether he believes in hell -- but then, what if you looked at this as a play about power?

Posted by: Dennis G. Jerz at October 11, 2005 03:40 PM

I agree with Deana Marie because Faustus did get what he asked for. He did not think about how at the final end of his life, he would be regretting his pact. I found the story sad in a way, Faustus was never happy in general when he was a normal man. It sadly took a pact with the Devil to make him happy.

Posted by: Rachel Prichard at October 11, 2005 05:18 PM

That's interesting Rachel and Dena. I think that yes he did get what he was asking for. However, what Rachel said about how he did not think about the final end of his life, I don't totally agree with. Not to say that you're wrong Rachel, but I think that he had every opportunity to not choose evil. If we remember, he had a long hard decision in front of him and he didn't take Lucifer's side right away. I think in the end he felt guilty about his life because he finally realized that ha made the wrong decision.

Dena, I do think that Faustus enjoyed his power, and at the same time regrets not listening to God. He made his decision based on what he would profit immediately. The only thing is, much like smoking or abusing alcohol, it's fun for a while, but in the end it catches up to you.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at October 11, 2005 09:21 PM