« It Ain't Necessarily So CH 8-9 | Main | Glass Menagerie Reflection 1 »

A heart is a fragile thing

Williams, The Glass Menagerie (Finish) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Jim: I hope that wasnt the little glass horse with the horn!
Laura: Yes.
Jim: Aw, aw, aw. Is it brokent?
Laura: Now it is just like all the other horses.
Jim: It's lost its-
Laura: Horn! It doesn't matter. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise.

There was foreshadowing occurring in the second half of this play. When her most unique glass fell and broke by Jim hitting the table foreshadowed him telling her that he was engaged to Betty. In a way Laura broke at that moment to. She had a big crush on him in high school and then when he came over and was flirting with her, it made her so extremely happy. Then when she found out, she was in total shock. I think that the Glass Menagerie is very symbolic to Laura and her heart, her love is broken.

Posted by Denamarie at November 1, 2005 01:42 PM

That's a very good point Dena! I didn't really think about it much before, but you are right. Her heart is broken. It makes me really dislike Jim. Not only because he broke her heart, but because he led her on! He flirted with her, he told her she was pretty, he seemed to genuinley care for her, and he KISSED her! All the while being engaged. That makes me angry.

Posted by: Chera Pupi at November 3, 2005 12:00 PM

That was a really good notice of foreshadowing. I never realized how the breakingof her favorite glass piece could symbolize her breaking inside also. I do wonder what Laura will do at this point, will she take the advice jim gave her or continue to be just a shy sheltered person?

Posted by: rachelprichard at November 3, 2005 07:17 PM