« Loyalty | Main | Blog Portfolio for EL227 »

Amanda Cochran

Journalism is a "difficult, competitive business."
What we are learning here[EL227], is applied."

I really enjoyed class today. It was a great presentation by Amanda. It was great to hear from a journalist taht is actually in the business and experienced what REAL journalism is. I learned that being a journalist is harder than you think...one reason I am not becoming journalist.
I think that having Amanda in class today was a great pick me up. I know a bunch of us are having some level of difficulty with writing articles, so it was great to hear that real journalists do as well.
I got great hints that will help me with my future article. Ideas of how to approach the story, being creative, etc.

Posted by Denamarie at November 7, 2005 12:24 PM

I couldn't agree with you more, Denamarie. Not only did Amanda explain the actualy "hands-on" part of her job, but she made her lecture more interesting by adding emotions. For instance, when Amanda told the story of how she made the governor mad...she showed how enthused she was to have taken part in such a situation. This made me smile in class because I could tell that she truly loved her job and she honestly wanted to be there.
As for the "pick-me-up"...her lecture definately did this! You nailed it! I, too, have been having a difficult time getting motivated to write articles and my writing has been in between a rock and a hard-place. However, after seeing her viewpoint, she inspired me to continue with my writing and have fun and truly enjoy what I AM doing! :)

Posted by: ElyseBranam at November 8, 2005 10:17 AM

I'm a little jealous that Deana Marie did such a good blog on Amanda Cochran's presentation. Amanda did show how it is to work in the real world of journalism. I was actually more moved to be a journnalist by Amanda. She showed the real things that come along with the profession. As for the "pick me up," i think the presentation did keep the class' attention with the stories she told.

Posted by: Rachel Prichard at November 9, 2005 07:34 PM