« A heart is a fragile thing | Main | It Ain't Necessarily So CH 10 and Conclusion »

Glass Menagerie Reflection 1

Denamarie Ercolani
Jerz
EL250
2 November 2005
The Glass Menagerie Reflection (1)

Amanda: “No, I don't have secrets. I'll tell you what I wished for on the moon. Success and happiness for my precious children! I wish for that whenever there's a moon, and when there isn't a moon, I wish for it, too."

However, the mother in this story really does have a secret. Her secret is that she is trying to lead them down this path of perfection to make their lives better than hers. Amanda is doing this by persuading/telling them what to do with their life.
First of all she sent her daughter to business school and when I read on Amanda Nichols blog that she is so pressured by her mother to go to college and become successful that when she drops out she is so afraid to tell her mom. I really do think that she is trying to make up for her life. Her life did not turn out the way she wanted; she didn’t marry the right Gentleman Caller.
Amanda is also forcing her son to work at the warehouse, even though he is aspiring to go down another path. However, she notices that he is acting more and more like his father each day and she doesn’t want that to happen. So she is trying to make him a better person. But it is as if Tom wants to run away. That is probably why he goes out for endless hours at night; to leave the hellhole that is holding him back from his real future.

Posted by Denamarie at November 2, 2005 10:08 AM