« I want you to be this | Main | A heart is a fragile thing »

It Ain't Necessarily So CH 8-9

It Ain't Necessarily So (Ch 8 & 9) -- News Writing (EL 227)

So basically nothing is ever right when it comes to writing an article about ANYTHING! Every chapter tells us just one more thing that is wrong with articles in the newspapers all over.
In chapter 8 it talked about distinguishing research from reality and that since there is a change in a research report that there has to be a change in reality. But no, that is another thing that us as readers get confused on and what the journalists are telling us in their article. Just because a report changed does not mean the real world did to. You have to read into it.
In chapter 9 it talked about the motive of the researchers and if it differs their results. They also then talked about peer-reviewed journals, which i have used for some of my papers, and saying that they are more credible. Well i would hope that they are considering professors and other scholars have looked at them. But there is also a human error part on the research results as well. But can't we not say that when these journalists were writing the articles, it was just a human error?!

Posted by Denamarie at November 1, 2005 01:04 PM

WOW! I feel the same exact way Dena! I even talked about it in my blog from chapters 6 and 7. You pretty much can trust a single thing that you read. Is it really as bad as the authors make it out to be? I kind of think that it is. Which is really sad. It kind of makes me feel like I, as a reader and American, have no real concept as to what's going in the world.

Posted by: Chera Pupi at November 1, 2005 03:50 PM

Whoa Dena breathe hon, it's ok. It's not like the Eagles just lost a big game. The point is not that "nothing is ever right when it comes to writing an article about ANYTHING!" as you wrote. Instead, it is that there will always be the possibility that not EVERYTHING is always right when it comes to writing an article about anything. Nothing is ever perfect. And we need to remember this when we read articles about research. That is all. So take a deep breathe and good luck with that workbook exercise. Fun fun.

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 1, 2005 04:30 PM