« We the Media Ch 6-7 | Main | Professor Bernhardi Reflection 2 »

Religion and Politics

Schnitzler, Professor Bernhardi (Finish) -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

PFLUG:...And from this Bernhardi did not wish to waken her to the terrible reality. That is his whole fault. This was his crime. This and nothing else...for the sake of petty political considerations to leave in the lurch of a man who has done nothing but what was natural and proper...

Religion and the law are being tied in together. Why does politics have to be brought into everything, especially into religion. This all came about because someone maliciously spread the report and some very religious Catholic heard about it and took offense to it. Pflug goes on and says where is this man? I think that the CST principle of subsidiarity comes into play; decisions and tasks should be handled at a level closer to those affected by them. But i think that the government and law should not have even been brought into this case.

PRIEST: ...I expressed my conviction without hesitation that you attitude towards me at the sickroom was in no way actuated by the feelings of hostility towards the Catholic Church.

The Priest understands that Bernhardi did not mean to offend the Catholic church or anyone a part of the church; but someone did and now the government is involved.

Posted by Denamarie at November 17, 2005 11:46 AM

Yes, Dena, at first he did express feelings that he did not believe Bernhaldi felt any hatred for the Church at the beginning of the conversation, but remember that he changes his mind before the visit ends.

Priest: ...Yes, Professor, the real motive was - how shall I put it - an antipathy towards me - an unconquerable antipathy, I might even say animosity - ?

The Priest begins to feel this way because Bernhardi does not agree that he should have kept his feelings about the situation a secret. I think this line is what really pushes the Priest the other way.

Bernh: So it was God who sealed your lips...I must say He makes things very convenient for you, your God!

Posted by: Lorin Schumacher at November 17, 2005 12:25 PM