« We the Media Intro, CH 1-2 | Main | We the Media Ch 3-5 »

Tough love

Wilson, Fences -- Drama as Literature (EL 250)

Troy: "Not cause i like you! Cause its my duty to take care of you. I owe a responsibility to you1 Lets get this straight right here...before it goes any further...I aint got to like you!"

WOW! This is some tough love from Troy to Cory. Tory later talks about how his father just wanted his children to learn how to walk so he could start working him. I think that since he was brought up this way, very stern tough, rough and un-loved, that he is doing the same thing to his child, Cory. Deep down inside of Troy, he truly loves his son, but he has a hard time trying to express it. I think that he just wants the best for his son, something his father never did for him. He feels he owes to teach his son that you have to work at life to achieve something. Not just have everything handed to him.

Posted by Denamarie at November 12, 2005 08:27 PM

I think there are some distinct differences between tough love and the way Troy treats his son. Tough love is not babying a child; Troy treats Cory like an employee. I don't like you? What kind of thing is that to say to your child? I believe Troy simply fears the idea that his son may achieve impressive goals and leave his father in the dust.

Posted by: Katie Lambert at November 13, 2005 12:04 PM

Dena and Katie, I agree with both of you. Troy is definately acting very hostile towards Cody. A father should never say, "I don't like you." He's really showing that he's frustrated with his life. However, I think being all of the hatred and jealousy he has, he's trying to get something across to Cody.

I think that in all of this negativity towards Cody, Troy accidentally gives him some good advice.

TROY "Don't you try and go through life worrying about if somebody likes you or not."

In all seriousness, I think he's right. Going through life trying to impress or pleast everybody is just too hard. You can never reach your dreams if you're letting others hold you back by listening to what they think about you. I think that is one lesson that Troy learned and he passed onto his son. I like that line and I can understand that Troy has been hurt by people and that is what he's trying to show Cody.

Posted by: Andy LoNigro at November 13, 2005 03:03 PM

I think it definetly has to do with the fact that Troy had a tough life. but by trying to sheild Cory from it, he is actually holding him from his dreams.

Posted by: KevinHinton at November 13, 2005 07:22 PM

Katie, if you look at Kayla's blog, you will see that she felt the same way that he is afraid to see Cory achieve more in his life than what he did with his. (A garbage man)

Posted by: Denamarie at November 13, 2005 08:28 PM